Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Fourche, I do so hate walking about my neighbourhood. I swear it's teeming with cheekopeks and the like. They can make you feel sort of, you know, dirty even though you're dressed pretty decently with not a red nail or sphagetti strap or a pair of hotshorts or a waddling stride in sight. We're not even anywhere near Geylang.
Hellooo I was only on my way to the library and the MRT station! (I skipped another French lesson...I went to Kinokuniya again. Ssh) Must I resort to a veil and ankle-length dress, eh? Eh?
I miss the East Coast. Well actually I miss Bayshore Park. It has got grounds large enough that you don't really need to cross the road to East Coast Park opposite. You can walk around without meeting a old man giving you the eyeball. The people there are refined enough that they'll help you carry your grocery bags and make actual conversation.
And talk about multicultural! Sure in HDBs you get your usual mix of Malays and Indians and Chinese, but at Bayshore my neighbours were African - not the P Diddy type of American African, I mean real African. They always made sure to wear a hat with tribal beads - and Korean and also Caucasian.
And the view! The beautiful ocean everyday through sun and storm, and the sea wind at the 25th floor. Making funny gestures at the uber-rich next door at Coasta Del Sol - our windows are less than a hundred metres apart. Stopping by the condo's own grocery shop to buy jelly gums. The long walk from one end of the Park to the other after I dropped off at the bus-stop from school.
Socializing with other dog-owners randomly. And the number of retrievers there. Mostly labroaders or the whitey type I don't know the name of. Too bad my dear golden retriever is gay; there was another golden retriever and it was female and she showed her interest. (my dog is the equivelant of canine F Torres minus the gayness. Everyone says he is very pretty, and they both have lovely brown eyes, long noses, long blonde hair, dimples and winsome smiles. Though I hope my dog doesn't have freckles. And that Torres doesn't have black lips and whiskers and multi eyelids.)
I miss the strong sea breeze most of all, actually. It is very cold and clean. Here there is nothing to hold my interest in the view or in the general atmosphere. The only place I like to be in the neighbourhood is my house.
The only thing I don't miss about B.P. is the snails. It is mortifying, the size snails there could become! I never knew snails could grow to the size of your foot until I lived there and nearly stepped on one - YUCK.
i thought the world of you
10:36 PM